About Our Bishop
Bishop Emeritus John J. Snyder, D.D. was installed as the eighth bishop of the Diocese of Saint Augustine on Dec. 5, 1979. He succeeded Bishop Paul F. Tanner who retired.
The son of the late John Joseph and Katherine Walsh Snyder, he was born in New York City on Oct. 25, 1925 and attended St. Bartholomew and St. Andrew Avellino schools before studying for the priesthood at Cathedral College in Brooklyn and Immaculate Conception Seminary in Huntington, N.Y.
He was ordained to the priesthood on June 9, 1951 by Archbishop Thomas E. Molloy of Brooklyn. After serving for six years at St. Mel Parish, Flushing, N.Y., he became assistant secretary (1957-1968) to Bishop Bryan J. McEntegart and then secretary (1968-1972) to Bishop Francis J. Mugavero, both of Brooklyn.
On Dec. 13, 1972, Pope Paul VI appointed him Auxiliary Bishop of Brooklyn. He was ordained by Bishop Mugavero on Feb. 2, 1973 at the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn.
In October 1979, Pope John Paul II transferred him to the See of Saint Augustine where he was installed as bishop on Dec. 5, 1979. His episcopal motto is “Peace in Christ.”
As required by Canon Law, Bishop Snyder submitted his resignation on his 75th birthday on Oct. 25, 2000. Pope John Paul II accepted his resignation on Dec. 12, 2000. Bishop Snyder was elected Diocesan Administrator on Dec. 15, 2000 by the Diocesan College of Consultors and served as administrator until August 21, 2001, when Msgr. Victor Galeone was ordained the ninth bishop of the Diocese of Saint Augustine.
Since his episcopal retirement, Bishop Snyder remains very active in prison ministry and he regularly visits Jacksonville’s Bishop John J. Snyder Catholic High School where he ministers to the students and faculty – and cheers for the school at sporting events.
Casa San Pedro, Apt. 5
365 Marywood Drive
St. Johns, FL 32259
(904) 262-3200, ext. 136
Fax: (904) 230-1584