Join Pope Francis on Friday, March 27 at 6 p.m. Rome time (1 p.m. Eastern time) for a special Urbi et Orbi blessing, live from St. Peter’s Square in Vatican City.
The ceremony will consist of scriptural readings, prayers of supplication, and adoration. The event will conclude with the Holy Father giving the Urbi et orbi Blessing, with the possibility of gaining a plenary indulgence for all those who listen to it live through the various forms of communication.
Urbi et Orbi translates to “to the city [of Rome] and to the world” and denotes a papal address and apostolic blessing given by the pope on certain solemn occasions.
The gift of special Indulgences is granted to the faithful suffering from COVID-19 disease, commonly known as Coronavirus, as well as to health care workers, family members and all those who in any capacity, including through prayer, care for them.
The prescribed work:
- United spiritually through the media to the pope’s special prayer and blessing on Friday, March 27
- The recitation of the Holy Rosary
- The pious practice of the Way of the Cross
- Or some other form of devotion, such as reciting the Creed, the Lord’s Prayer or a pious invocation to the Blessed Mary
The usual conditions:
- A spirit detached from sin
- Sacramental confession (as soon as possible)
- Eucharistic communion (as soon as possible)
- Prayer for the Holy Father’s intentions