Bishop Felipe J. Estévez was born Feb. 5, 1946 in Havana, Cuba and arrived in the United States on an Operation Pedro Pan flight as a teenager.
He was ordained in 1970 and has done extensive studies in spiritual theology, earning a doctorate from Gregorian University in Rome. He is fluent in English, Spanish, French and Italian.
From 2001 to 2003, Bishop Estévez served as spiritual director of St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary in Boynton Beach, Fla. where he served as rector from 1980 to 1986. He was pastor of St. Agatha Parish in Miami for 14 years, while also directing campus ministry at Florida International University.
Appointed Auxiliary Bishop on Nov. 21, 2003, and ordained Jan. 7, 2004, he oversaw the archdiocese’s Ministry of Pastoral Services including family life, youth, campus, prison and respect life ministries, as well as all church movements and new communities.
In 2010, he was appointed Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Miami.
On April 27, 2011, Pope Benedict XVI named Auxiliary Bishop Felipe J. Estévez the tenth Bishop of St. Augustine. He was installed on June 2, 2011 at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Jacksonville.
Bishop Estévez is the second of three children (Carlos and Marty) of the late Adriano and Estrella Estévez.
- To the priesthood, May 30, 1970, Fort Wayne, Ind., for the Diocese of Matanzas, Cuba
- Incardinated into the Archdiocese of Miami, Feb. 9, 1979
- Appointed Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Miami, Nov. 21, 2003
- Consecrated to the episcopacy Jan. 7, 2004 in Miami, Fla.
- Montreal University, Montreal, Canada (1970), Licentiate in Theology
- Barry University, Miami Shores, Fla. (1977), Master’s in Art
- Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, Italy (1980), Doctorate in Sacred Theology
- Additional courses at: The Warren H. Deem Institute for Theological Education Management (1982); University of Creighton (seminar for spiritual directors, 2001); Institute for the Study of Human Sexuality, Chicago (2001); St. Luke Institute (psycho-sexual integration workshop, 2002)
- Associate pastor, Guascoran Parish, Honduras (1970-71)
- Faculty member, St. Joseph Seminary, Honduras (1971-72)
- Faculty, Our Lady of Suyapa Seminary, Honduras (1972-75)
- Faculty, St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary, Boynton Beach, Fla. (1975-77)
- Graduate studies at Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, Italy (1977-1980)
- President/Rector, St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary, Boynton Beach, Fla. (1980-86)
- Campus Minister, Florida International University, Miami, Fla. (1987-2001)
- Pastor, St. Agatha Catholic Church, Miami, Fla. (1987-2001)
- Dean of Spiritual Formation, St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary, Boynton Beach, Fla. (2001-03)
Memberships / Organizations:
- U.S. Bishops’ Committee for Pro-Life Activities (2012-present)
- U.S. Bishops’ Committee on Cultural Diversity in the Church – Hispanic Affairs (2009- present)
- Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians of the United States (1989-2001)
- Operation Pedro Pan, Inc., founding member (1960-present)
- National Responsible for USA Jesus Caritas Fraternities (2002-2005)
- Federation of Spiritual Directors (2001-2003)
- Catholic Theological Society of America (1980-1990)
- Appointed Board of Directors of Catholic Relief Services (2014-present)
Office of the Bishop
11625 Old St. Augustine Road
Jacksonville, FL 32258
Phone: (904) 262-3200
Fax: (904) 260-8736
Executive Assistant to the Bishop
(904) 262-3200, ext. 136
(904) 262-3200, ext. 120